Many of us have a vision of what we want our future to look like but have trouble seeing a clear path to get there. What’s more, we allow the stories of our past to cloud our judgment of what’s possible. When we stop and envision our future through the lens of our accomplishments, it opens the door to what’s possible.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Benjamin Hardy to discuss practical steps for making your future goals a reality. Ben explains why most of us are setting our goals too small and how we can use gratitude and self-reflection to build our confidence and achieve the unimaginable. Dhru and Ben also discuss their personal experiences with goal setting, making sacrifices for their future self, and how to find peace in not knowing what’s next.
Dr. Benjamin Hardy is an organizational psychologist, keynote speaker, and best-selling author who focuses on the psychology of exponential growth and transformation, future self-science, and entrepreneurship. He’s also the author of eight books, which have sold nearly one million copies. In 2018, he and his wife went from zero to five kids in one year, adopting three from the foster system and having twins. They now have six kids and live in Orlando, Florida. Ben’s new book, 10x Is Easier Than 2x, is now available for purchase at 10xeasierbook.com.
In this episode, Dhru and Ben dive into (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Top things that can prevent us from making progress on our goals (0:24 / 0:24)
- Why do people have a hard time connecting to their future selves? (2:20 / 2:20)
- Focusing on what you want and optimizing your life to make it happen (8:49 / 6:15)
- How to build the muscle of imagination (10:06 / 7:38)
- Looking at the past as a framework for how far you’ve come (19:48 / 17:36)
- Practicing gratitude to squash self-criticism (26:06 / 23:10)
- How to apply Ben’s “10x is easier than 2x” rule to different areas of your life (36:44 / 32:10)
- Dhru’s experience with the 10x rule (40:20 / 38:17)
- Understanding your goals and how they fit into your desired future self (50:32 / 46:20)
- The goals Ben is working on (59:32 / 51:58)
- Leadership, building trust within yourself, and when to outsource help (1:06:06 / 58:45)
- What to do when you’re not sure what to do next (1:12:26 / 1:08:10)
- Core concepts from Ben’s new book (1:26:09 / 1:22)
- Final thoughts and where to follow Ben’s work (1:35:33 / 1:31:10)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- 10x Is Easier Than 2x: How World-Class Entrepreneurs Achieve More by Doing Less
- Supercharge Your Sleep and Improve Your Longevity Using the Power of Intermittent Fasting & Circadian Biology (episode 401)
- Sleep Master Class: How Poor Sleep Makes Us Hungry, Disrupts Our Blood Sugar, And Increases Our Risk For Alzheimer’s Disease (episode 378)
- Uncovering The Root Cause of Sleep Issues and How to Improve Your Sleep Today (episode 376)
- The Five Minute Journal
This episode is brought to you by WHOOP, ARMRA Colostrum, and Cozy Earth
WHOOP is a personalized digital fitness tracker. To get yours, go to join.whoop.com/dhru and get your first month free.
Receive 15% off your first order of ARMRA Colostrum at tryarmra.com/DHRU or enter DHRU to get 15% off your first order.
Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRUP.