We used to think circadian rhythm only applied to sleep. But emerging science has revealed a link between our circadian rhythm and metabolism, cognition, risk for chronic diseases, and many other crucial aspects of our health. Our biology was designed to live in sync with a natural light-dark cycle, but modern-day society has disrupted this natural balance.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Satchin Panda to dive deep into his groundbreaking circadian biology research and how leveraging your circadian rhythm can dramatically improve your sleep, lower your risk of chronic disease, and improve your cognitive function. They also discuss how time-restricted eating, exercise, and light can be used to help program your circadian rhythm and why it’s especially important for shift workers to take advantage of these tools.
Dr. Panda is pioneering circadian biology research. He is a professor at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, a Pew Biomedical Scholar, founder of the UC San Diego Center for Circadian Biology, and recipient of the Julie Martin Mid-Career Award in Aging Research. Dr. Panda has spoken at conferences around the world about his work on circadian rhythms and diabetes, including Diabetes UK, the American Diabetes Association, the Danish Diabetes Association, and the professional diabetes societies of Europe and Australia.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight
- The Circadian Diabetes Code: Discover the Right Time to Eat, Sleep, and Exercise to Prevent and Reverse Prediabetes and Diabetes
- Download the MyCircadianClock app
- Download the Ontime app, an app to help you reprogram your circadian rhythm
- Follow @getontimehealth on Instagram.
- Try This: 6 Crazy Facts About Sleep
- Try This: How Exercise Helps Fight Cancer
- Click here to sign up for my weekly Try This newsletter
This episode is brought to you by Birch Mattress by Helix and LMNT.
Birch Mattress by Helix is made out of organic latex, organic cotton, New Zealand wool, and American steel springs. To get 20% off your Birch Living mattress plus two free eco-rest pillows, head over to birchliving.com/dhru today.
Right now, LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any purchase. That’s eight single-serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all eight flavors or share LMNT with a salty friend. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/DHRU.