Sometimes, a lot of big benefits can be found in quite a small package. Believe it or not, this is very true for broccoli sprouts.
In the world of nutrition, people have known for a long time that the sprouts of cruciferous vegetables and legumes are powerhouses of valuable nutrients. The secret to the health benefits of this remarkable food lies in the bioactive compound sulforaphane, which is generated in high concentrations when broccoli sprouts are consumed. Over a thousand published studies have identified sulforaphane as one of the most potent food-derived molecules of our era, and that some truly remarkable health benefits that can be accessed through its main source, broccoli sprouts.
This week on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, I sat down with Dr. Jed Fahey to talk about the healthspan-promoting power of broccoli sprouts, and how sulforaphane shows promise as a therapeutic agent against a wide range of diseases including autism, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, among others.
Dr. Fahey is a nutritional biochemist with an extensive background in plant and human nutrition and phytochemistry. Dr. Fahey was an Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins Medical School, where he directed the Cullman Chemoprotection Center, a leading center for the study and development of plant-based protective agents. He held faculty appointments in three departments at Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health where he conducted laboratory and clinical trials, taught graduate courses, and mentored students since 1993.
He spent the first 15 years of his career in agricultural biotechnology research and industrial process development. Dr. Fahey “retired” in mid-2020 to focus his attention entirely on outreach and educational efforts.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Phytochemicals: Do they belong on our plate for sustaining healthspan? – https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/fft2.81
- The Challenges of Designing and Implementing Clinical Trials With Broccoli Sprouts and Turning Evidence Into Public Health Action – https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2021.648788/full
- TrueBroc® – https://truebroc.com/
- Thorne Research Crucera-SGS – https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/crucera-sgs
- The Science of Sprouting and Q&A with Dr. Jed Fahey and Rhonda Patrick – https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/jed-fahey-q-a
- Autism: Getting To The Root Cause With Functional Medicine – https://drhyman.com/blog/2021/02/22/podcast-hc44/
- New Science-Based Approaches to Treating Autism with Dr. Theresa Lyons – https://drhyman.com/blog/2019/05/09/bb-ep54/
- Microbiota Transfer Therapy alters gut ecosystem and improves gastrointestinal and autism symptoms: an open-label study – https://microbiomejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40168-016-0225-7
- Reduced Incidence of Prevotella and Other Fermenters in Intestinal Microflora of Autistic Children – https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0068322
- Long-term benefit of Microbiota Transfer Therapy on autism symptoms and gut microbiota – https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-42183-0
For more on Dr. Jed Fahey, follow him on Twitter @jedosan, and through his website https://www.jedfahey.com/.
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode is brought to you by Pendulum and Vivobarefoot.
Pendulum is the first company to figure out how to harness the amazing benefits of Akkermansia in a probiotic capsule. To receive 20% off your first purchase of Pendulum’s Akkermansia probiotic supplement, go to Pendulumlife.com and use code DHRU20.
Vivobarefoot footwear is designed to be wide, thin, and flexible—as close to barefoot as possible. They promote your foot’s natural strength and movement, allowing you to feel the ground beneath your feet. Vivobarefoot is offering 20% off your first order at vivobarefoot.com/DHRU.