Cancer screenings have become commonplace for adults over the age of 40, yet when it comes to heart disease—the leading cause of death worldwide—early detection often remains elusive until it’s too late. With new advancements in lab testing, we are amidst a transformative era in the early detection and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Joel Kahn to discuss the different screening tests and biomarkers that can paint a clearer picture of heart health. Dr. Kahn discusses the nuances of specific lab markers, like LDL, apoB, and Lp (a), and why soft plaque is one of the most telltale signs of heart disease.
Dhru and Dr. Kahn discuss the advantages and limitations of CT scans for looking at calcium deposits in the arteries and the intimate interplay that our genetics, lifestyle, exercise, and diet have on our risk for heart disease. They also share how specific foods (like pomegranates), supplements, and lifestyle recommendations can help lower our risk of heart attack or stroke.
Dr. Joel Kahn is a practicing cardiologist and a clinical professor of medicine at Wayne State University School of Medicine. He’s triple-board-certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular medicine, and interventional cardiology.
Dr. Kahn founded the Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity in Bingham Farms, MI, and has authored many publications in his field, including articles, book chapters, and monographs. He has published six books, including The Whole Heart Solution, Dead Execs Don’t Get Bonuses, The Plant-Based Solution, and Lipoprotein(a): The Heart’s Quiet Killer.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity
- Heart Doc VIP Dr. Joel Kahn’s podcast
- What Do I Do With My High Coronary Calcium CT Results: A Guide
- HIIT Training Improves Soft Plaque (study)
- Try This: VO2 Max as the Best Predictor of Longevity
- The Anti-Aging and Longevity Routine Designed to Help Us Live to 120 & Beyond episode 403 with Bryan Johnson
- Try This: Who the Heck is Fred Kummerow? (The history of the banning of trans fats)
- GB Insight Genetic Testing and Analysis
- Maxi Health Kyolic 400 Aged Garlic Extract
- Gotu Kola and Pycnogenol French Maritime Pine Bark Extracts
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers, Joovv, and Rupa Health.
BiOptimizers is offering 10% off plus a special gift with purchase. Just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
Right now, Joovv is giving my listeners an exclusive offer on your first order. Head over to Joovv.com/dhru and apply my code DHRU.
Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.