Many of us carry around unrecognized guilt, different forms of addiction, and other types of destructive coping mechanisms—all of which can be traced back to traumatic childhood experiences.
It’s never too late to address trauma and improve our emotional, mental, and physical health in the process. This is such a critical topic for optimal wellness and self-growth, that today we’re resharing one of our most popular episodes exploring it, with the one and only Dr. Gabor Maté
Dr. Maté is a retired physician who, after 20 years of family practice and palliative care experience, worked for over a decade in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside with patients challenged by drug addiction and mental illness. Gabor is the bestselling author of four books published in twenty-five languages, and is an internationally renowned speaker highly sought after for his expertise on addiction, trauma, childhood development, and the relationship of stress and illness.
His book on addiction received the Hubert Evans Prize for literary non-fiction. For his groundbreaking medical work and writing he has been awarded the Order of Canada, his country’s highest civilian distinction, and the Civic Merit Award from his hometown, Vancouver. His books include: In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters With Addiction; When the Body Says No; Exploring the Stress-Disease Connection; Scattered: How ADD Originates and What You Can Do About It; and (with Gordon Neufeld) Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers.
For more on Dr. Gabor Mate you can follow him on Facebook @DrGaborMate, on Twitter @DrGaborMate, on YouTube @DrGaborMate, and through his website https://drgabormate.com/.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Cured: Strengthen Your Immune System and Heal Your Life by Dr. Jeffrey Rediger – https://www.amazon.com/Cured-Life-Changing-Science-Spontaneous-Healing/dp/1250193192
- It Didn’t Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Mark Wolynn – https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1101980389/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tpbk_p1_i0
- The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self by Alice Miller – https://www.amazon.com/Drama-Gifted-Child-Search-Revised/dp/0465016901
- Dr. Gabor Maté Interview | The Tim Ferriss Show – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9B5mYfBPlY
- How Our Childhood Shapes Every Aspect of Our Health with Dr. Gabor Maté | Feel Better Live More Podcast with Dr. Rangan Chatterjee – https://drchatterjee.com/how-our-childhood-shapes-every-aspect-of-our-health-with-dr-gabor-mate/
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit. Sign up for Dhru’s Try This Newsletter – https://dhrupurohit.com/newsletter.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and Vivobarefoot.
It’s really important to me to source my meat from a place I can trust. ButcherBox only partners with farmers and ranchers who believe in going above and beyond when it comes to caring for animals, the environment, and sustainability. For a limited time, new subscribers to ButcherBox will receive 2 lbs of 100% grass-fed, grass finished beef free in every box for the life of your subscription. To get this limited time offer go to ButcherBox.com/DHRU.Vivobarefoot footwear is designed to be wide, thin, and flexible, so you feel as close to barefoot as possible. They promote your foot’s natural strength and movement and studies show that foot strength increases by 60% in a matter of months just by walking around in them. Right now they’re offering my community 20% off their first order at vivobarefoot.com/DHRU.