As people interested in health, we often tackle every major concern or follow every wellness trend—diet, exercise, gut health, oral health, and the list goes on—before we realize how important inner mental and emotional work is as well.
When we’re willing to get quiet with ourselves and go deeper, that work pays off for not just our mindset, but every other area of our health, too. Spending more time at home throughout this pandemic has certainly provided the opportunity to do that work. Today on The Broken Brain Podcast I talk with my good friend Dr. Mary Pardee about her experience looking inward and embracing self-care that is more than just physical.
In this episode, we talk about the increased social isolation many people are experiencing due to the COVID-19 pandemic and how it’s impacting our overall health. We discuss how doing inner work might seem like a purely mental or emotional exercise, but it can actually impact so much more. Dr. Mary talks about the way our spiritual health and fulfillment can affect the immune system and alter our resilience against things like mold, stress, and other insults. We also talk about how Dr. Mary is counseling her patients through their decisions around the COVID-19 vaccines. As a Functional Medicine practitioner, Dr. Mary is adamant about looking at each individual’s unique story and she shares what considerations she and her patients take into account with the conversation around vaccines. Lastly, we take a deep dive into gut health, another passion of Dr. Mary’s—we talk about the gut-brain connection, mindful eating and the importance of chewing our food properly, the benefits of walking after meals, and the importance of getting enough fiber in our diet.
Also mentioned in this episode
- Are You Truly Healthy? A Deep Dive into Your Health and Labs with Dr. Mary Pardee – Broken Brain Podcast Ep. 105 – https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/04/23/bb-ep105/
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma, by Peter Levine – https://www.amazon.com/Waking-Tiger-Healing-Peter-Levine/dp/155643233X
- Dr. Gabor Maté – https://drgabormate.com/
- The Landmark Forum – https://www.landmarkworldwide.com/
- Op-Ed: Why Did Fauci Move the Herd Immunity Goal Posts? – https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/90445
- Rapid Test – https://www.rapidtests.org/
- Michael Mina – https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/people/michael-mina/
- Peter Doshi – https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-distribution.html
- Gut Health Course – https://www.onecommune.com/gut-health-with-dr-mary-pardee?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.onecommune.com%2Fa%2F38512%2FE6CBzNLt
- Foods to avoid on a gut-health elimination diet – https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9DtAms165/
- Mold Webinar – Could Mold be Causing Your Symptoms? Dr. Mary and The Mold Guys – https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_K9V6q1AQR4SqCrPC75_EWw
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Thrive Market.Thrive Market makes it so easy to stay stocked with healthy ingredients. Right now, Thrive is offering all my listeners an amazing deal. When you sign up for a new membership, you will receive a free gift. And, any time you spend more than $49, you’ll get free carbon-neutral shipping from one of their zero-waste warehouses. Go to thrivemarket.com/brokenbrain to sign-up.