Depression and anxiety disorders are rising, affecting more than fifty-eight million people in the United States alone. Many rely on therapy and medications to alleviate symptoms but often this is not enough. The latest scientific advances in neuroscience and nutrition, along with our understanding of the mind-gut connection, have proven that how and what we eat greatly affects how we feel physically, cognitively, and emotionally.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, I talk to Dr. Drew Ramsey about the twelve most important nutrients for brain health and some of the most insightful studies to back them up. We often hear about omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D for mood imbalances, so you may be surprised to learn that iron, zinc, choline, and vitamin A are a few others that are crucial. Dr. Ramsey explains the mechanisms behind these essential nutrients and which foods we can find them in.
For more on Dr. Ramsey you can follow him on Instagram @drewramseymd, on Facebook @drewramseymd, on Twitter @drewramseymd, and through his website drewramseymd.com. Get his book, Eat to Beat Depression and Anxiety: Nourish Your Way to Better Mental Health in Six Weeks at https://drewramseymd.com/books-publications/eat-to-beat-depression-and-anxiety.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Broken Brain Podcast Episode #28: Mood Altering Power of Food and Farming with Dr. Drew Ramsey – https://drhyman.com/blog/2018/11/08/bb-ep28/
- Is There an Optimal Diet for Humans? By Anahad O’Connor – https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/well/eat/is-there-an-optimal-diet-for-humans.html
- Cross-national comparisons of seafood consumption and rates of bipolar disorders – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14638594/
- Mediterranean diet and depression – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17378948/
- Eat to Beat Depression book illustrations by Katrin Wietek – https://www.instagram.com/katrin.kristin/
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers.
My new favorite magnesium is from a company called BiOptimizers—their Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains 7 different forms which all have different functions in the body. There is truly nothing like it on the market. Right now you can try Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off, just go to www.bioptimizers.com/brain and use the code BRAIN10 at checkout.