It’s part of the human condition to run away from pain. Most of us have habits that we acquired as a way to cope with painful childhood experiences or traumas, which unfortunately don’t serve us as adults. These habits can manifest as addiction in a wide variety of forms, from substance abuse to overworking.
If you feel a sense of deep guilt, without recognizing the source of it, you’re not alone. As children we pick up the energy around us, start to think things are our fault, and we don’t know how to drop that feeling as we grow up. This has a very heavy impact on our emotional, mental, and physical health.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, I talk to Dr. Gabor Maté about detangling our traumatic life experiences to live more aware lives. Dr. Maté and I each open up about our own experiences with addictive tendencies and how those patterns were based out of a deep compensation and survival mechanisms that all of us can relate to. We also talk about what is happening in the addicts brain and how to unravel awareness to promote healing. In his famously insightful way, Dr. Maté discusses the true meaning of recovery and how we can all work through trauma to find our truest selves.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Cured: Strengthen Your Immune System and Heal Your Life by Dr. Jeffrey Rediger – https://www.amazon.com/Cured-Life-Changing-Science-Spontaneous-Healing/dp/1250193192
- It Didn’t Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Mark Wolynn – https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1101980389/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tpbk_p1_i0
- The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self by Alice Miller – https://www.amazon.com/Drama-Gifted-Child-Search-Revised/dp/0465016901
- Dr. Gabor Maté Interview | The Tim Ferriss Show – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9B5mYfBPlY
- How Our Childhood Shapes Every Aspect of Our Health with Dr. Gabor Maté | Feel Better Live More Podcast with Dr. Rangan Chatterjee – https://drchatterjee.com/how-our-childhood-shapes-every-aspect-of-our-health-with-dr-gabor-mate/
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Bioptimizers and BLUblox.
My new favorite magnesium is from a company called Bioptimizers—their Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains 7 different forms which all have different functions in the body. There is truly nothing like it on the market. Right now you can try Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off, just go to www.bioptimizers.com/brain and use the code BRAIN10 at checkout.
As someone who is on the computer a lot, I realized all that screen time was negatively affecting how well I slept. I started learning about blue light and how it disrupts the body’s natural melatonin production, so I decided to try blue-light blocking glasses throughout the day to see if they helped—and they totally did. I love the blue-light blocking glasses made by BLUBlox. BLUblox glasses reduced my digital eye strain and dramatically improved my sleep, and I have more energy throughout the day. Right now BLUBlox is offering my listeners 20% off, just go to blublox.com/brokenbrain and use code brokenbrain at checkout.