“The negative bias is our tendency not only to register negative stimuli more readily but also to dwell on these events. Also known as positive-negative asymmetry, this negativity bias means that we feel the sting of a rebuke more powerfully than we feel the joy of praise.”*
It’s easy for our minds to get into this negativity bias mindset. We spend so much of our time perusing social media, comparing ourselves to others, watching the news, and focusing on all the things going wrong. It’s a slippery slope, and when you’ve found yourself in this mindspace, it’s hard to get out.
But, in today’s minisode, I take you through the 3 ways to catch and turn around our brain’s negativity bias:
- Step One: Catch the Negativity Bias. The faster we catch ourselves stuck in the negativity bias, the happier we’ll become long term. It can be hard to know when we’re actually in it, but I discuss how to tune into yourself and start becoming aware.
- Step Two: Question it, Name it, and Tame it. To turn around the negativity bias, we must understand what our mind is looking for, why it’s on the hunt, and how to shake off the negativity.
- Step Three: Create a Positivity Bubble. While we normally think about living “in a bubble” to be a bad thing, I challenge you to see it as a good thing. Tune in to hear more!
- *What is Negativity Bias?: https://www.verywellmind.com/negative-bias-4589618
- Negativity Bias and Kids: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3652533/pdf/nihms275010.pdf
- 5 Minute Journal: https://www.intelligentchange.com/products/the-five-minute-journal
- Dhru’s Instagram Post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B63MX3_FR8C/
- Steven Pressfield Quote: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_0HCVhlasT/
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your join request here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit